2016 a year in review
KLMC – 2016 in review
Our events and highlights for 2016
* Our club members in collaboration with the Weavers and Potters took part in the Art Expo event for Mother’s Day weekend
* Based on discussions from the Potter’s guild, we decided to have our first “Metal Rocks Sale” in November, the same weekend as Potter’s sale. We had over 500 visitors to our event in the activity room. We had 18 members participate to sell their creations. Discussions will continue in 2017 to hopefully make this an annual event. It is such an excellent opportunity for members to meet with the public, sell their creations and receive encouragement to continue using their creative talent.
* We participated in Summer Camp, which because of limited enrollment was only a ½ day commitment over the 2 weeks. It continues to prove an excellent way for junior club members to earn volunteer hours and gain experience in interacting with others
* We participated in Culture days, by having an open studio with members demonstrating what is done at the club
* Our annual show and sale had its last year at the Portsmouth Olympic Harbour. We are changing to a new venue – Cataraqui Arena and a new time – Father’s Day weekend in June. With this new venue, we will be able to have more members have booths at the show.
* We began using Facebook to advertise our events. This is a learning curve that made us realize what opportunities there are to reach the public about our club and its events. As a result, we realized that our website and club logo were very outdated. A group of members met and created our new modern logo. Another member volunteered to create a new website, which should be live early January.
* Our junior club needed to be revamped, as our instructor was unable to continue for medical reasons. To reduce the time commitment required, we used the talents of 4 members to teach various courses for the junior members. They will now learn mineral and fossil identification and a variety of Jewellery techniques throughout the year
* Our Beginner Silversmithing Course continues to prove very popular. The classes are generally full within a few days of posting the available course dates. We couldn’t offer this course without our volunteer instructors. Being at the Tett Centre and hosting our annual shows and sales has really increased the public’s awareness of our club. These courses run from January through early June, then September through early December. Once members have taken the beginner course, they are then able to sign up for a wide variety of experienced courses. These change each year but in 2016 we offered enameling, polymer clay, wire weaving, spinning rings, wax casting and Precious Metal Clay, Etching, Rivets, Fold forming, Resin and an intermediate course.
* We added more open shop time in 2016 which turned out to be very successful. We added Sunday afternoons, Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings.
* Our field trips continued throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall. With the CCFMS organization that we belong to members are allowed to participate in other club’s field trips. This is proving to be very beneficial for all clubs concerned. There is a greater turn out for collecting and a greater variety. of trips to choose for the members.
Upcoming for 2017
* Our club will have a new website which is more interactive. We will be discontinuing our newsletter as most members have email and receive information and news as it occurs. The website will also have this information. For those few members with no internet access, we will send out a simplified newsletter for event and field trip notification.
* We will be working in conjunction with the Tett to offer a Senior tasting course which teaches lapidary skills, summer camp, culture days etc.
* We will be planning for our annual show, now being held in June. This is a new venue with a larger capacity for vendors and new advertising challenges.
* We will continue with all current activities ie silversmithing, lapidary, field trips, junior programs, Friday evening meetings.
* We will be planning for a members only November show, Metal Rocks, at the Tett, in conjunction with the Potter’s show.
© COPYRIGHT 2021 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.